Head of Programmes in Angola
Location: Angola, Lubango/Kuito/Luanda with frequent field trips and regular trips to other provinces of PIN implementation
Starting date: January 2022 or asap
Duration: 2 year with possibility of extension
Languages: Excellent English, advanced Portuguese
PIN has been active in Angola since 2006. With a team of close to 100 staff members, it manages programmes focusing on improving good governance, public health, livelihoods and food security, water sanitation and hygiene (WASH) conditions and C19 response. PIN Angola responds in rapid onset emergencies and our programs are addressing the most pertinent and concerning issues such as climate change impacts and related adaptation measures. PIN programmes are managed from its head office in Kuito, Bié province and field offices in Lubango and Luanda. For more info see http://www.clovekvtisni.cz/en/humanitary-aid/country/angola.
At the moment PIN is seeking for a colleague, who would supervise and develop our programmes. The successful candidate should be experienced in programme development & management areas, be a strategic thinker and problem solver, and have strong leadership and communication skills. As a member of the Country Management Team, the Head of Programmes (HoP) will contribute to the overall management and development of the country programme. HoP supervises all programmes, with the specific responsibility for their timely and efficient implementation, and most importantly, the quality assurance of projects. By supervising the implementation of results-based M&E systems, HoP also guides the programme strategy and development of future programmes. Together with the Country Director, the Head of Programs represents PIN to donors and partners as well as engages in medium to long-term program and strategy planning, ensures continuous quality program improvement and contributes towards a positive working environment for the continuous development of the programme staff.
- Overall supervision and support of currently implemented programmes in all the phases of project cycle
- Strategic planning, programme development and proposal writing including incorporating innovations, research and good practices
- Participate in Country Management Team meetings and decision making, in line with PIN strategies and policies
- Direct supervision of Program Managers (and/or Project Managers), who are further managing respective project / programme teams
- Building of synergy among the programmes, ensure cooperation with Country Program’s supporting departments and PIN Knowledge & Learning department
- Supervising MEAL (monitoring, evaluations, accountability and learning) processes and procedures, tracking programme status through internally developed monitoring tools and use of common IT tools (e.g. Navision, ELO), through monthly review meetings
- Striving for quality of programmes including mainstreaming accountability systems and cross-cutting issues like gender, social inclusion, climate change and good governance
- Ensuring financial side of programming is understood and followed by the project teams together with financial department
- Ensure timely and high-quality reporting is done by all programmes towards its donor
- Develop external contacts (in coordination with Country Director) and relations with partners (organizations, authorities) in Angola
- Back up and substitute Programme Managers during their leaves
- Successful proposal writing track record including major institutional donors
- Excellent experience with people management, including development of national team capacities
- Proven excellent experience with programme/project management of EC or other major donors funded projects including supervision of procedures and compliance with donors’ requirements
- Technical knowledge in one of the sectors: good governance, livelihoods, food security & nutrition, public health, WASH, emergency response, MEAL is an advantage
- University degree in development studies or one of the sectors is an advantage
- Excellent English, both written and spoken
- Professional/advanced knowledge of Portuguese
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to organize and plan effectively
- Ability to work in difficult conditions and under pressure
- Working environment in a well-established middle-sized and continuously growing humanitarian organization;
- Salary and benefits according to PIN’s salary scale. Expected salary 3,360-3,760 EUR (monthly per diems of 1,560 EUR are already included) based on experience;
- Accommodation and local transport costs covered
- 2 flights to home country covered per year
- Costs of visas and vaccination covered
- 25 days of holiday per year
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultations available online
- Travel insurance (covers the health care incl. the repatriation)
- Free access to e-learning sites, global PIN’s Induction Training, and individually tailored capacity building opportunities
How to apply:
Are you interested in this position? Great. Send us your CV and short cover letter via this application form.
Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).