WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) Technical Lead
Country Programme: Ukraine
Base: Kyiv (with a regular travels to areas where WASH programs are being implemented – eastern and southern oblasts of the country)
Reports to: Deputy Country Director Programme Quality
Start date: As soon as possible
Duration: 12 months
About PIN Ukraine:
People in Need (PIN) has been active in Ukraine since early August 2014. Currently, PIN is one of the major humanitarian actors in Ukraine responding to the recent military escalation providing humanitarian aid to conflict-affected people across Ukraine. Since 2014, PIN has implemented emergency food and cash assistance, NFI, shelter, protection, livelihoods and WASH interventions supporting 3 million vulnerable IDPs, returnees and host communities in urban and rural areas. PIN’s main humanitarian donors include ECHO, EU, BHA, UHF and the Czech Government.
About the role:
Main responsibility of the role is to provide technical support to PIN program staff on the design, planning, implementation, coordination and technical supervision of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) interventions, focusing on emergency, early recovery, reconstruction type of programming, implemented in response to the crisis caused by the current military operations and to ensure the WASH programme is implemented in line with PIN global, cluster and relevant technical standards and guidance.
- Support the program teams with the identification of specific needs assessments on emergency, early recovery and development type of WASH interventions. Based on the findings, support the program team in developing integrated projects linking WASH with interventions with other PIN’s strategic sectors.
- Actively engage and participate in key coordination platforms including the WASH Cluster.
- External coordination with other stakeholders (i.e. national and international organizations implementing similar programming, governmental institutions responsible for WASH related services, private sector and academia, especially in the field of climate change adaptation, energy safety and sustainability, etc).
- Provide advice on ongoing and future implementation and scale-up strategy & plan for WASH programming informed by the Ukraine context and relevant technical standards, considering also the early recovery and reconstruction agendas in Ukraine, and identify how it can be incorporated into implementation.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for development and quality assurance of PIN WASH programme, as per PIN global WASH as well as PIN Ukraine framework and strategy
- Update the internal strategic framework on WASH as part of PIN’s country strategy and its pillar related to early recovery, reconstruction, durable solutions and climate change adaptations in Ukraine
- Actively participate in proposal development for all projects with WASH interventions and work with Grants department in identification of new opportunities for funding.
- Responsible for preparation of relevant technical documents, required for quality implementation of WASH programme (programmatic frameworks and approaches, necessary implementation and monitoring SOPs, technical guidelines, data collection, targeting criteria, beneficiary selection etc) for PIN WASH interventions in cooperation with MEAL and programme teams.
- Responsible for providing technical and implementation support and guidance to field-based PIN WASH staff as well as PIN’s partners including but not limited to providing instructions on work plans, approving expenses/procurement, recruitments, reporting, relevant BoQs etc.;
- Designs relevant WASH surveys and researches, that provide necessary information on current needs and gaps in WASH sector potential innovations and new approaches for WASH programming, especially in terms of climate resilience and environmental sustainability.
- Provides necessary technical support to field teams – identifies capacity needs within PIN project teams and national partner’s staff involved in WASH, designs necessary trainings and other capacity building activities and delivers appropriate support to increase teams’ technical knowledge, skills etc.
- Actively engage and participation in relevant national and regional coordination forums and opportunities for cooperation with relevant partners (non-governmental, governmental and private)
- Develop functional partnerships with relevant partners, local authorities and other stakeholders.
- Take the initiative in documenting lessons learned, best practices and case studies to shape in-country strategies and programme approaches and contribute to broader sector learning
- Working closely with the Monitoring & Evaluation team to put in place WASH sector M&E plan, ensuring this is linked to reporting requirements, and build the capacity of technical field staff in carrying out the work.
- In collaboration with the communication and advocacy department, identify the main advocacy messages to raise through various fora.
- Continuously evaluate PIN’s WASH intervention in terms of programme quality, relevance and effectiveness, help to identify gaps and implement improvements.
- At least 5 year’s professional experience with WASH interventions in a humanitarian and development context - experience of implementing emergency WASH programmes in conflict settings with front line communities and IDPs as well as experience of implementing WASH programs in early recovery and reconstruction contexts, with a special focus on climate change adaptations and innovations, energy safety, disaster risk reduction etc.
- Experience in developing WASH specific strategy.
- Knowledge of the main sustainability and resilience principles.
- Degree and experience in water engineering
- Familiarity with WASH technical guidelines of institutional donors and cluster;
- Strong grasp of all stages of programme cycle management and quality standards in WASH programming, including safeguarding and accountability mechanisms.
- Experience with Ukraine or the region required.
- Experience working with local partner organisations and in consortiums is desirable.
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Experience of working with and through WASH Working Groups and demonstrable experience of developing/influencing technical guidelines.
- Excellent teamwork, communication, coordination and representation skills.
- Proven ability to work in a diverse and multi-cultural team environment, with appropriate sensitivity to social and cultural norms.
- Proven ability to work in stressful environment.
- Experience with remotely managed programming is a plus.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Russian or Ukrainian with knowledge of the other.
Security situation in Ukraine
Humanitarian workers continue to operate throughout Ukraine, despite the occasional shelling, which has intensified since 10 October 2022. However, PIN security SOPs require PIN staff to proceed to shelter each time during an air raid siren and remain there until the air raid siren is cancelled, which cumulatively can be several times a week for several hours a day. Air strikes have mostly targeted energy-related infrastructure, resulting in frequent power outages and occasionally water supply disruptions throughout Kyiv, affecting the living conditions of PIN staff in the city. However, most services such as medical care, shops, public transportation as well as restaurants or leisure facilities remain operational.
The employee is expected to be able to travel to other PIN offices and other locations where PIN is conducting activities, however all travel must first be pre-approved by PIN security department. The employee must comply with all PIN security department SOPs and other relevant instructions.
This position is an unaccompanied position and team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and PIN's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Work experience in a well-established and continuously growing humanitarian organization in a challenging context;
- Flexible and challenging working environment with room for personal growth;
- Salary and benefits according to PIN salary scale and HR policies; expected salary 2,450-2,600 EUR super gross (based on experience)
- Monthly subsistence allowance 1350 EUR;
- Hardship allowance 400 Eur;
- R&R allowance
- Accommodation allowance;
- 25 days of paid leave annually;
- Travel health insurance;
- Free access to e-learning sites, global PIN’s Induction Training, and individually tailored capacity-building opportunities; incl. HEAT training.
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work;
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Reimbursement of the medical check-up before and after the deployment;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available online;
How to apply:
Are you interested in this position? Send us your CV (no longer than 4 pages) and short cover letter via our application form. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: https://www.peopleinneed.net/key-policies-4142gp).
People in Need is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behavior at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct and is committed to promoting the welfare of children and adults with whom People in Need involves. People in Need expects all staff to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need code of conduct and key policies (available at: https://www.peopleinneed.net/key-policies-4142gp). People in Need Staff will undertake the appropriate level of training.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organization and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.