Country Director, Yemen
Starting date: January/February 2022
Contract duration: 6 months with possibility of extension
Country Program: Yemen
Base: Aden with regular field visits
Line Manager: Regional Director, Middle East and North Africa (MENA)
Country Program and Position Overview:
People in Need (PIN) has recently finalized registration in Aden, Yemen and will be launching multi-sector humanitarian programs in the south of Yemen in 2022. The Country Program (CP) will start with an initial core team and launching of programmatic activities, with an aim for scale-up in the second half of 2022 - increasing the team, institutional funding, and programmatic footprint. This position is ideal for a driven and experienced humanitarian professional that would like a hands-on role and strategic leadership of a new CP.
The Country Director (CD) will have overall leadership of the Yemen CP and will launch set-up of all programming and operations. This includes establishment of the Aden office/guesthouse, field office, recruitment and training of staff, development of the country strategy and scale-up plans, donor engagement and fundraising, coordination and external representation, security management, and lead assessments and implementation of multi-sector humanitarian programs. The CD will lead the Country Management Team (CMT), along with the Programmes Director (PD) and Head of Systems and Operations (HoSO). The CD will work closely with the PIN HQ team including the Regional Director, Middle East and North Africa (MENA), Head of Emergency Programmes, and Technical, Humanitarian, and Security Advisors which will provide active support throughout the set-up and scale-up phases.
General Supervision of the Country Program (CP):
- Represents PIN in Yemen with national authorities, donors, humanitarian coordination mechanisms, UN agencies, Alliance2015 members, Consortiums’ Steering Committees and other INGOs
- Actively participates in networking and pursues new funding opportunities and explore different funding approaches and strategies (bilateral funding, consortiums, private funding, etc), in coordination with PIN’s Institutional Fundraising Unit (IFU)
- Monitors and analyses the political, humanitarian and socio-economic context. Based on the analysis and in collaboration with the Field team and HQ, develops and reviews the CPs strategies, the identification of funding opportunities, and contribute to the design of initiatives and new projects;
- Sets strategic priorities for PIN’s Yemen CP and supervises the Country Management Team (initially the Programmes Director (PD) and Head of Systems and Operations (HoSO)) and a team of 5-10 program and support staff with aim for expansion
- Engages in humanitarian advocacy initiatives and policy dialogues and oversees internal and external communications
- Ensures efficient internal coordination at CP level and with HQ; initial CP set-up, strategy development, and fundraising will be done in close coordination and with the active support of the HQ team (Regional Director, Head of Emergency Programmes, Technical, Security, and Humanitarian Advisors, Institutional Fundraising Unit, Regional Head of Systems and Operations, etc.)
- Liaises with local authorities and ensure that conditions of the Principle Agreement (registration contract) are in compliance
- With the PD, ensures overall implementation and quality of new projects for the CP
- With the PD, analyzes the results of assessments and develops the strategic direction (geographically, sectorally, etc.) for programing
- In coordination with the field team and HQ, oversees and provides guidance to the program team in designing and managing PIN’s programming, and ensuring that they are in line with PIN’s Relief and Development Department Strategy, PIN’s Humanitarian Strategy, and quality standards, guidelines, and best practices including the development of SoPs and training of teams
- Monitors the Yemen context and maintain regular communication with the field team and concerned HQ-based staff
- Oversees the Country Programme’s Safety and Security Management Plan (SSMP), evacuation and medical plans and ensures that the documents are kept up-to-date and well disseminated
- Ensures that PIN is fully included in the existing security information and coordination mechanisms in Yemen (UN and INGO security working groups, etc.)
- Managing security incidents and crises, in coordination with the relevant field teams and HQ
Human Resources and Support Departments
- Actively oversees the recruitment of the initial team; ensures the HoSO and HR staff have resources and policies in place for recruitment of the expanded team
- Directly line manage head of base in target governorate(s);
- Supervises the implementation and periodic review of PIN’s international and national HR policies in line with PIN’s global HR guidelines and with PIN’s HQ based HR staff
- Reviews and suggests changes in the HR structure according to the strategy, Country Programme/context needs, budget and potential funding
- Identify, support and coordinate the CP capacity building activities to strengthen and develop the capacity of the team; coordinates with the HQ team/Advisors on specific areas for capacity building
- Ensure that staff are aware of, trained in, and in compliance of the Code of Conduct and key policies
- Supports the HoSO with the development and adherence to PIN’s administrative, HR, financial and logistics procedures
- In coordination and with the support of the HoSO and the Finance Desk Officer, oversees the CP economy
- Supports the HoSO in establishing banking and financial systems in country
- At least 5 years of experience in the humanitarian sector in complex environements, including in senior management roles. Previous CD experience a plus
- Experience in the country or region is a plus
- Strong leadership and staff management skills, with experience in managing diverse and multidisciplinary teams
- Good understanding of the humanitarian environment (NGOs, NGO Forums, UN, main donors)
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English; Arabic language a plus
- Proven experience in networking and fundraising
- Strong security analyses and security management skills; experience in challenging and volatile security environments strongly preferred
- Good organizational, planning, diplomatic, and problem-solving skills
- Drive to work in a hands-on capacity and enthusiasm to lead a start-up country program
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
- This position unaccompanied and is based in Aden, Yemen. Guesthouse/accommodations will be analysed and finalized upon arrival of the CD.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and PIN's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
People in Need Offers:
- Working environment in a well-established and growing humanitarian organization;
- Salary range: 4200 - 4800 EUR
- 25 days of paid leave annually;
- R&R benefits according to PIN’s policy including extra paid days off and regional flights;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work;
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Accommodation in PIN’s guesthouse on PIN’s expenses;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available online; travel health insurance.
How to apply:
Are you interested in this position? Send us your CV and short cover letter (no longer than 4 pages altogether) via this application form.
Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of Conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).