Head of Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning (MEL) for Syria
Position: Head of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL)
Location: Erbil, Iraq
Country Programme: Syria
Line Manager: Programme Quality Director (PQD)
Supervisor Role of: Senior Data Analysis and Reporting Officer - Whole of Syria (WoS); MEAL Advisor for Data Analysis and Reporting - Northwest Syria (NWS)
Duration: 18 months with possible extension
About the role:
Under the supervision of the Programme Quality Director, the Head of MEL is the overall technical lead for MEL within the Syria mission. S/he provides support and oversight to MEAL managers in all regional hubs of the Syria programme, and is responsible for leading the development, harmonization and roll out of MEAL systems, in close collaboration with the MEAL managers, the Accountability Coordinator and the Core Management Team. Lastly, the Head of MEL will oversee and directly line manage the Senior Data Analysis and Reporting Officer for Whole of Syria and MEAL Advisor for Data Analysis and Reporting for Northwest Syria.
Duties and Responsibilities:
M&E strategic leadership, MEL System development and implementation
- In coordination with the MEAL Managers, set WoS level MEL strategic priorities (inclusive review and advisory on the appropriate team structure across MEAL departments/WoS), and follow implementation of the agreed actions.
- Coordinate with the MEAL managers to ensure an appropriate monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) system is in place on the overall country programme (CP) level and is functioning satisfactorily.
- Coordinate with the MEAL Managers, and programme teams to create data collection systems and processes in line with the donor requirements and internal procedures.
- Align data collection tools and approaches across Syria, where applicable, through facilitating information/tools exchange between the regional hubs, developing the Performance Indicator Reference Sheets and providing support and guidance in tools development as needed.
- Liaise with the MEAL Managers to create procedures for M&E data collection, quality assurance and data safety in line with MEAL Manual and data protection requirements, and ensure that the MEAL Managers across Syria follow WoS level M&E SOPs.
- Support Data Manager and Humansis CP Focal Point in further development of PIN’s Beneficiary Information Management System (Humansis), as required, to facilitate its use for the purposes of M&E.
Monitoring and evaluation
- Oversee the timely development and implementation of the monitoring framework and tools, ensuring that qualitative and consistent information is available on program performance and impact.
- Ensure review of WoS level M&E products, including needs assessments, monitoring reports, outcome and impact level reporting and analysis produced by MEAL managers, Senior Data Analysis and Reporting Officer or other team members.
- Lead the design and rollout of mission-wide programmatic evaluations to assess the impact of PIN’s programming in Syria, in line with internal and donor minimum standards.
- Overall responsibility for the management of the M&E related service contracts (external evaluation, mission-wide Third Party Monitoring, assessments and other research initiatives), and support to MEAL Managers in hub-level TPM planning, design and contract management as needed.
Project proposals and external reporting
- Participate in programme design and proposal discussions for Syria, including theory of change development, logframe design and budgeting for M&E. In charge of providing technical input on M&E to project proposals.
- Ensure/oversee consolidation of M&E findings from all Syria hubs to support donor reporting and proposal development.
Compile M&E findings and actionable recommendations for programme improvements, support Programme Quality Director in facilitating WoS level programme discussions (incl. programme quality review sessions) on lessons learned and actions for addressing identified issues, ensure follow-up on agreed actions and regular updates of the action plan/tracker.
- Support MEAL Managers in creating hub-level reporting systems to ensure findings from M&E data collection provide pragmatic and action-based recommendations that are easily accessible to program teams, including through Power BI or other data visualization tools.
- Technical support of MEAL Managers in respective program hubs, with a focus on ‘top level’ concerns (e.g. tool feedback, indicator reporting for donors, internal M&E processes, etc.).
- Line management and day-to-day support to the Senior Data Analysis and Reporting Officer for Whole of Syria and MEAL Advisor for Data Analysis and Reporting for Northwest Syria in deciding the work priorities, ensuring timely communication of the upcoming tasks, ensuring review and feedback on their deliverables, and supporting their professional development.
- Supports PDQ and MEAL Managers to develop and implement plans to build the capacity of programme staff in understanding of the value of M&E, especially planning and implementing M&E activities in projects – LFA and indicators, M&E plans, Results-based Monitoring (RBM).
- Participates in the hiring of MEAL senior staff, alongside Area Directors, including participating in interviews and designing and evaluating assigned recruitment technical tests.
People in Need offers:
- Salary as per PIN salary scale;
- Accommodation in PIN’s guesthouse on PIN’s expenses;
- 25 days of paid leave annually;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work;
- Regional flights twice per year. The international staff has PIN’s support in leaving the base after every 3 months.
- Reimbursement of the costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Free 24/7 medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available online;
- Reimbursement of the medical check-up before and after the deployment;
- Travel health insurance;
- Hostile Environment Awareness Training (HEAT)
- E-learning platform, frequent webinars and other opportunities for your capacity building
- In addition, team of dedicated colleagues who foster friendly and fair work atmosphere.
How to apply:
Are you interested in this position? Send us your CV (no longer than 4 pages) and short cover letter via our application form. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: https://www.peopleinneed.net/key-policies-4142gp).