Logistics & Procurement Manager in Afghanistan
Period: 12 months with the possibility of extension
Starting date: ASAP
Line Manager: Head of Systems and Operations
Location: Kabul, with occasional travel to PIN’s operational areas based on security clearance
PIN in Afghanistan
People in Need (PIN) is a Czech NGO that provides relief and development assistance in over 20 countries around the world. Formed in 1992, PIN has evolved into the biggest organization of its kind in post-communist Europe, providing relief and development aid where it is needed, and empowering civil society at home and abroad. In Afghanistan, PIN has been active since 2001, responding to humanitarian needs where they arise, and through targeted development programmes. Currently, PIN focuses primarily on the Emergency Response, Food Security & Livelihoods, Education and Shelter sectors, with support from a variety of donors. By working closely with the communities, PIN has managed to maintain a significant field presence in Afghanistan.
About the role:
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Systems and Operations, the Logistics & Procurement Manager (LPM) will be responsible for providing technical support, guidance and supervision to the logistic, procurement and IT departments. The LPM will ensure that procedures and processes are in place, unified and in line with PIN and donor guidelines. LPM also directly leads the process of career development and staff capacity building in the logistic, procurement and IT departments.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure that adequate support from logistics, procurement and IT departments is provided for the implementation of the country strategy and all PIN projects implemented in Afghanistan.
- Ensure that the procedures and processes are implemented in full transparency and in compliance with the donor and PIN rules.
- Ensure standardization of processes/procedures related to logistics and procurement across all field offices.
- Oversee logistics budgets and improve needs planning for current as well as new projects with regards to logistics, procurement, IT and base management.
- Provide technical support and guidance to staff in the relevant departments to ensure effective communication and coordination between base management, fleet management, procurement, stock and assets management, as well as with other departments – programmes, security, finance and HR.
- Line-manage and supervise the local team and support their continuous capacity building based on personal development and career plans.
- Ensure that key policies in the area of logistics, procurement and IT are continuously updated as required and appropriate to the context.
- Ensure compliance with local legislation, rules and regulations in terms of visas and local taxes applicable to PIN suppliers.
- Ensure adoption of adequate anti-corruption measures.
Suitable candidates for this position should possess:
- Previous experience in logistics or procurement in a humanitarian and/or development organization, preferably direct experience from the country programme level (outside of the country of residence);
- Proven experience with team management and supervision;
- Ability to work in difficult conditions and under pressure, willingness to abide by security protocols;
- Strong coordination, organization, critical analysis and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent communication skills, including fluent spoken and written English;
- IT literacy and advanced knowledge of MS Excel;
- Previous experience working in Afghanistan is an advantage.
- Flexible and challenging working environment with room for personal growth;
- Robust and thorough induction training (2 weeks);
- HEAT training (unless the candidate participated in one recently);
- Starting salary, as per PIN salary scale, between 3 700 – 3 900 EUR gross depending on previous experience (subsistence and hardship allowance already included);
- Reimbursement of flight tickets to the country of residence once every 6 months of work, PIN also provides 1000 USD allowance per flight for R&R trips (total of max two R&R flights per year, as the R&R is intended to be taken between the 6-month flights to the country of residence);
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Comprehensive travel insurance;
- Medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available online;
- 24 days of paid leave annually and 10 additional days of R&R leave per year;
- Accommodation in PIN compound.
How to apply:
Are you interested in this position? Send us your CV and short cover letter in English (no longer than 4 pages altogether) via our application form. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of Conduct and key policies (available at: https://www.peopleinneed.net/key-policies-4142gp).