Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Manager, Northwest Syria
This job offer is not active.
Contract duration: 18 months with possibility of extension
Country Program: Northwest Syria
Reports to: Area Director
Coordination: NWS Area Program Director, Head of MEL
Line Managing: Northwest Syria MEAL Team (Gaziantep, Northwest Syria teams)
About PIN Northwest Syria:
People in Need’s programs for war-affected Syrian population focus mainly on livelihood/food security, rural rehabilitation and education. PIN operates several programs across Northwest Syria (Idlib, Aleppo) with its offices and field staff in Syria. Cross-border operations are managed from Turkey where PIN’s main office is established serving as administrative and logistics support of program implemented directly in Syria.
About the role:
Under the strategic guidance from Area Director and Program Director and in close cooperation with Programs teams and Whole of Syria MEAL and program advisors the position is responsible for the overall coordination of all MEAL related processes and activities across PIN’s Area Programme in Northwest Syria, lead the MEAL department in developing quality MEAL related deliverables in compliance with donors’ guidelines and PIN’s internal guidelines.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
Lead the monitoring, evaluation duties and assist-in in accountability and learning processes at the Country Programme:
- Lead implementation of the ethical principles in all MEAL processes at the Area Programme.
- Draft and regularly update MEAL workplans and data collection plans at the Area Programme. Agree workplan with stakeholders across the organization (Country Programme and HQ).
- Support program/project teams in developing accountability mechanisms, including the Community Feedback and Response Mechanism (CFRM) and assist in analysis.
- Support project teams in developing quality standards for all key program interventions to strengthen the compliance and quality aspects.
Ensure technical, programmatic or strategic consultancy in MEAL assignments to the program personnel at the Country Programme:
- Set up an adequate monitoring and evaluation system applicable for the whole Area Programme and particular projects and ensure planning of M&E activities for each project in accordance with the projects‘ overall M&E Plans
- Provide MEAL related inputs to project proposal, review the logframe/Theory of Change (ToC) and the logic of intervention. Review project budget to ensure implementation of adequate high-quality monitoring.
- Plan, prepare, organise and conduct monitoring and evaluation activities for all projects (including and where relevant routine/random monitoring activities, baseline and end-line studies, Post Distribution and Post Intervention Monitoring, mid-term and post-project evaluation etc.) and provide support to external evaluators as required.
- Ensure implementation of high-quality MEAL process and ensure delivery of adequate MEAL products at the Area Programme.
- Analyse existing monitoring and evaluation tools and generate new ones if need arises, coordinating with the WoS structure as needed.
- Manage and supervise MEAL team at the Area Programme to ensure they deliver on all internal and external MEAL requirements in a timely manner and with high quality information.
- Support in beneficiary verification and assist in preparing tools for data collection; when relevant collect data and process it.
- Help design and review data collection/tracking tools/formats/databases to ensure data quality, reliability and consistency throughout project implementation. Support project teams in implementing innovative solutions and assist in setting it up, e.g. Humansis (Beneficiary Management System).
- Contribute to periodic projects’ review process in cooperation with Deputy Area Director of Programmes, M&E Coordinator, and other relevant staff.
- Implement electronic, mobile data collection systems in MEAL processes.
- Conduct data and feedback analysis, secondary sources overview when adequate and prepare adequate reports.
- Support project staff in needs assessments studies; assist in designing the tools for needs assessment and support in carrying out quantitative data collection exercises.
Support internal learning, capacity building and facilitate quality improvement in relation to domain of MEAL:
- Carry out or assist in trainings, learning events in regards to MEAL and contribute to MEAL team members capacity development, including trainings for enumerators and MEAL officers.
- Share knowledge and experience in MEAL and program-related knowledge based on MEAL activity.
- Promote internal learning via sharing findings from MEAL activities and reflection on lessons learned related to MEAL domain. Help in adapting them and tracking recommendations from PIM, PDM, other monitoring activities, evaluation for future learning processes, usage and improvements.
Establish appropriate MEAL structures; verify, consult, participate and assist in establishing the division of roles at the Area Programme in Northwest Syria between MEAL and other staff. Lead the MEAL processes and manage staff in tasks related to MEAL:
- Review existing structure dedicated to MEAL; set objectives for the employees; assess the workload and performance of MEAL employees.
- Facilitate recruitment of staff dedicated for MEAL processes.
- Update job description of MEAL staff and in cooperation and support of Area Director and M&E Coordinator ensure division of roles between MEAL personnel and other staff.
- Carry out other duties assigned by direct supervisor.
Suitable candidates for this position should possess:
- Significant technical experience of undertaking a MEAL related role in a humanitarian context (at least 5 years); experience in different sectors of the PIN Syria programming will be an asset.
- Experience of working in complex and volatile contexts (familiarity with the humanitarian context in Syria is an advantage).
- Solid managerial experience of MEAL team/s. Strong coordination and facilitation skills and capacity to work with multi-profile, multi-skilled and multi-tasked teams.
- Strong monitoring and evaluation skills, including planning/participating in evaluations.
- Capacity for analyzing and synthetizing comprehensive information & technical data.
- Experience in developing MEL related SOPs and Guideline will be an advantage. Being a detail-oriented with the capacity to see the bigger picture is a must.
- Experience in data management, including the knowledge about data protection principles/rules and data collection methods/tools. Capable to develop the new tools and/or provide professional feedback as required.
- Experience in developing ToRs and managing external service contracts related to MEL activities
- Strong organizational, critical analysis and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills, including fluent spoken and written English, including exceptional report writing and editing skills.
- Working environment in a well-established and growing humanitarian organization;
- 25 days of paid leave annually;
- Accommodation provided by PIN
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence (or other selected country) once every 6 months of completed work;
- Travel Health Insurance;
- PIN covers pre-departure expenses - reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available online;
- Hostile Environment Awareness Training (HEAT)
- E-learning platform, frequent webinars and other opportunities for your capacity building;
- In addition, team of dedicated colleagues who foster friendly and fair work atmosphere;
How to apply:
Are you interested in this position? Send us your CV and short cover letter (no longer than 4 pages altogether) via our application form.
Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of Conduct and key policies (available at: https://www.peopleinneed.net/key-policies-4142gp).