Position: TECH LEAD
Duty location: Prague, Czech Republic, remote
Starting date: ASAP
Contract length: one year with the possibility of extension
Line Manager: Head of Humansis / Digital Products & Innovation Lead
About People in Need:
People in Need is one of the largest non-profit organizations in Central and Eastern Europe active in humanitarian and development aid, human rights and social inclusion. In 2022, more than 2000 employees worked in our Humanitarian and Development Aid Section in 25 countries (Asia, Africa, Middle East and Eastern Europe).
General Post Description:
PIN looks for a motivated colleague to serve as the technical leader in development of Humansis software and its implementation across Ukraine or Syria. The Tech Lead will cooperate with the PIN team providing humanitarian aid on the ground and with Humansis project managers and developers based in the Czech Republic. This role is ideally open for developers in Prague or refugees from Ukraine currently living in Czech Republic. However, the duty location is not exclusive to Prague and we can consider a full remote option for highly skilled applicants.
Humansis is a unique web-based application developed by People in Need in cooperation with an external software development company with a vision to improve the speed, efficiency, transparency, and accountability of humanitarian aid delivery. It provides an open-source and secure data platform for humanitarian needs, such as storing demographic data and targeting aid according to vulnerability criteria. The system also provides digital services for the delivery of cash, goods, and e-transfers (e-vouchers, mobile money, etc.). It includes extensive mapping and advanced reporting functionalities.
- Own product’s technical strategy, implement tech stack, architecture and infrastructure that meet business requirements, ensuring scalability, maintainability, and security
- Collaborate with product owner and other stakeholders to define and prioritize technical requirements
- Lead and manage a team of in-house junior developers and an outsource engineering team, providing guidance and mentorship
- Conduct code reviews for the in-house & outsource engineering team and enforce best practices in code quality, testing, and documentation
- Participate in relevant Scrum ceremonies
- Assist with effort estimations and backend / frontend tasks division
- Implement advanced software solutions such as integrations with other systems within the organization (eg. Kobo ToolBox, ELO, …), microservices, etc.
- Other tasks assigned by employee’s Line Manager corresponding to actual needs of PIN, and projects
- Understand and adhere to the PIN National Staff Handbook, PIN Code of Conduct and Key Policies and relevant guidelines
Skills & Requirements:
- Experience designing backend / frontend architecture
- Experience setting up and maintaining hosting infrastructure
- Experience with version control – GIT (Gitlab, Github…)
- Experience setting up CI/CD is an advantage
- Experience in Agile development methodologies, including Scrum
- Strong technical leadership / mentoring skills
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to effectively communicate technical information to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Passion for learning and keeping up-to-date in emerging trends and technical solutions in software development within the humanitarian sector
- Fluency in English is a must, Czech language is an advantage
- 25 days of paid leave annually; 3 sick days
- Laptop for work (also for personal use)
- PIN covers costs related to travelling abroad such as flights, accommodation, medical check-ups, vaccinations, travel insurance etc.
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available online; travel health insurance;
- Relatively flexible working hours
- Access to internal e-learning and webinars
- Language courses
- International online induction for all the new staff (HQ + country programmes of RDD)
- Diverse work with an international dimension that makes sense and has visible results
- Work with inspiring people, in a pleasant environment of the largest Czech non-profit organization in the center of Prague
- An open and informal organizational culture without a dress code, where we all relate
- Opportunity to participate in interesting events that we organize
- Extensive Capacity Building program – internal and external - Induction training, internal e-learnings, Knowledge and Learning Department onboarding, eventual HEAT Training, Humentum trainings (www.humentum.org ), PuntoSud trainings (https://academy.puntosud.org/courses)
- Personal and professional development
How to apply:
Are you interested in this position? Great. Send us your CV and short cover letter via our application form.
Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: https://www.peopleinneed.net/key-policies-4142gp).
People in Need is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct and committed to promoting the welfare of children and adults with whom People in Need involves. People in Need expects all staff to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need code of conduct and key policies (available at: https://www.peopleinneed.net/key-policies-4142gp). People in Need Staff will undertake the appropriate level of training.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organisation and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.