Head of Systems and Operations - Yemen
This job offer is not active.
Contract duration: 12 months with the possibility of extension
Country Program: Yemen
Line Manager: Country Director for Yemen
Country Program and Position Overview:People in Need (PIN) has recently finalized registration in Aden, Yemen, and is launching multi-sector humanitarian programs in the south of Yemen in 2022. The Country Program (CP) is starting with an initial core team and launching programmatic activities, with an aim for scale-up in 2023 - increasing the team, institutional funding, and programmatic footprint. This position is ideal for a driven and experienced humanitarian professional that would like a hands-on role and operational leadership of a new CP.
General position summary:Head of Systems and Operations (HOSO) is a member of the Country Programme (CP) management team (together with the Country Director (CD) and Programs Director (PD) and works in close cooperation with HQ colleagues who provide active support throughout the set-up and scale-up phases.
Reporting to the Country Director, HOSO leads departments that provide operational support for successful implementation of our projects. These are the teams of Finance, Human Resources (HR), Logistics, and Procurement. In cooperation with the head of the departments and technical support from the HQ in Prague, the HOSO helps to design, establish, and implement the organizational policies and compliance procedures, leads the hiring and technical development of the operational team, and timely reacts to the programmatic and CP needs. The HOSO plays a key role in engaging with the local and national authorities and ensuring that we meet legal and administrative requirements.
Main Duties and Responsibilities are:
- Build, coordinate and oversee Finance, HR, and logistics and procurement teams,
- Ensure operation support to country program to enable to provide efficient and timely responses to needs in Yemen.
- Ensure compliance with donors’ rules (reporting, procurement)
- Ensure compliance with local legislation, rules, and regulations (e.g. visas, tax, labour law, etc.). Ensure that key support policies are continuously updated as required and appropriate to the context;
- Ensure that recommendations for improvements (e.g. from HQ, audits, etc.) are implemented in a timely manner;
- Ensure Yemen compliance check-list is regularly updated and monitor the progress on the action points;
- Oversee the operational budgets
- Identification of operational needs related to the new project and responsibility for respective budgeting
- Oversee the Yemen program economy including identification of gaps, financial and procedural risks, and provision of appropriate solutions;
- Oversee HR ensuring the implementation of relevant national and international staff policies including training for new staff, managing leaves, allowances, and evaluations;
- Ensure adequate staffing of all supervised departments to achieve efficient delivery of the program;
- Provide technical support and guidance to Logisticians to ensure effective operations and coordination between the office management, fleet management, procurement, stock and assets management;
- Provide technical support and guidance to the finance team to ensure effective operations of and coordination between budgeting, drawing, and accounting;
- Ensure effective communication between support (finance, HR, log) and program departments;
- Be country program focal point for HQ desk for operational agenda
Suitable candidate for this position should have:
- Significant previous experience with managing systems, logistics, administration, and HR
- Experience with the financial management of international donors
- Experience with team management and supervision and interest in building capacity of local staff
- Experience in working within a humanitarian and/or development organization
- Excellent communication skills, including fluent spoken and written English
- Strong coordination, organizational, critical analysis, and problem-solving skills
- Experience in working in complex and volatile contexts
- Working experience with accounting and economic software
- Previous working experience in the Middle East is an advantage.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
- This position is unaccompanied and is based in Aden, Yemen. Guesthouse/accommodations will be provided.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs, and PIN's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
People in Need offers:
- The working environment in a well-established and growing humanitarian organization;
- Gross monthly salary as per PIN salary scale (per diems of 1 200 EUR already included): 3.650-4.000 EUR, depending on the seniority grade
- Hardship allowance
- Opportunities for learning, training, and capacity development;
- 25 days of paid leave annually;
- R&R benefits according to PIN’s policy including extra paid days off and regional flights;
- Coverage of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work;
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Accommodation in PIN’s guesthouse on PIN’s expenses;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available online; travel health insurance.
How to apply:
Are you interested in this position? Send us your CV (no longer than 4 pages) and short cover letter via our application form. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).