Programme Development and Grants Coordinator for Syria
Starting date: December 2022/January 2023
Contract duration: 1.5 years (with the possibility of extension)
Country Programme: Whole of Syria (WoS)
Base: Erbil, Iraq with travels within the region
Line Manager: Country Programme Coordinator – Iraq and Syria
About the mission
People in Need (PIN) delivers vital assistance in Syria addressing the needs of IDPs and host communities in several sectors including food security, livelihoods, shelter, protection, education and WASH. PIN is well-established organization with several field offices, direct and remote modes of implementation and more than 700 employees. Its regional office sits in Erbil and provides support services to field teams in the region. PIN’s contribution to the Syria humanitarian response is amongst the largest, with an annual turnover of $60+ million across Syria and funding from humanitarian donors including ECHO, ENI (EC), BHA (USAID), SDC (Swiss Development Cooperation).
About the role
The PDGC is part of Syria Core Management Team (together with Country Director, Area Directors, Security Advisor, Head of Finance, and members of HQ Syria desk). The PDGC oversees the fundraising efforts of the Syria country programme and ensure that the: 1) current grant portfolio being well maintained, and 2) new donors and sectorial opportunities are being explored.
The PDGC reports to PIN Country Programme Coordinator for Iraq and Syria. S/he has delegated management responsibility for the Grants Manager, Head of Monitoring & Evaluation and Learning and Program Development Advisor. The PDGC works closely with the Area Directors, Area Programme Directors and other senior programme staff within the country programme (CP).
The PDGC is directly responsible:
Whole of Syria (WoS) Programme Team Coordination
- Oversee project development and ensure quality of project proposals
- Provide support to overall implementation at the WoS level
- In consultation with Area Programme Directors, keep track on the overall progress against plan (indicators, spending), to detect irregularities in need of reporting, modifications
- Coordination of project spending updates on WoS level
- Supervise fulfilling of contractual compliance obligations towards the donor according to donor guidelines and in line with project proposals
- Supervise the grants team to ensure quality of proposals and external reporting
2) Monitoring & Evaluation and Learning
- Oversee M&E reporting, data analysis, learning outcomes, done from the perspective of capitalizing on these (utilization of data and gathered knowledge) to be used for the programme development, grant purposes = linking MEL with programme development and grants
3) Programme Development, Fundraising and Partnerships
- Oversee fundraising and programme development efforts, ensuring it fits alongside existing projects and donor portfolio
- Supervise/support Programme Development Advisor to ensure quality of proposals and their alignment with PIN Syria Country Programme Strategy
- In cooperation with the Syria Core Management Team collaborates on formulation of the programme strategy, programmatic growth of the CP
- Ownership of the partnership agenda/strategy for the CP
4) Representation of PIN programmes in WoS response towards partners and donors
- Co-Lead and/or feed into programme discussion, in coordination with Area Management, Programme Development Advisor, with donors regarding overall programme implementation, risks, challenges, lessons learnt and programme development
5) Staff management and capacity development
- Continuously work on capacity development of WoS programme staff
Suitable candidates for this position should possess:
- At least 5 years of management experience of either leading grants/programme development department or humanitarian implementation in complex environments/protracted crises or combination of the two.
- Demonstrated experience in leading the coordination of successful large-scale proposals to key institutional donors, including ECHO/EC, USAID, FCDO (UK Aid), Swiss Development Cooperation (SDC), UN OCHA, etc.;
- Experience with at least two of the following sectors: WASH, Food Security, Livelihoods, Education, Shelter, Protection;
- Excellent communication skills, including fluent spoken and written English;
- Dynamic approach with a passion for good coordination, quality, capacity building, and innovation.
- Strong organizational, critical analysis and problem-solving skills;
- Strong grasp of all stages of programme cycle management and quality standards in humanitarian programming;
- A high standard of integrity and professional conduct;
- Previous working experience from the Middle East - advantage.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
- This position is based in Erbil. The accommodation is in a PIN Guesthouse with individual guestrooms and shared bathroom, living room and kitchen. All sites have internet;
- Security situation in Erbil is generally good with a potential for a good social life with restaurants, bars and gyms and a large expat community;
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and PIN's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Salary range as per PIN salary scale (subsistence allowance of 1 200 EUR is already included): 3 600- 3 700 EUR super gross
- Accommodation in PIN’s guesthouse on PIN’s expenses
- 25 days of paid leave annually;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work;
- Regional flights twice per year. The international staff has PIN’s support in leaving the base after every 3 months.
- Reimbursement of the costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Free 24/7 medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available online;
- Reimbursement of the medical check-up before and after the deployment;
- Travel health insurance;
- Hostile Environment Awareness Training (HEAT)
- E-learning platform, frequent webinars and other opportunities for your capacity building
- In addition, a team of dedicated colleagues fosters a friendly and fair work atmosphere.
How to Apply:
Are you interested in this position? Send us your CV (max. three pages) and a short cover letter (one page) via our application form. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: https://www.peopleinneed.net/key-policies-4142gp).