Cross-border journalism initiative by PIN CZ on Belarus topicPublished: Jan 12, 2022 Reading time: 2 minutes
This is and open call targets young journalists up to 35 years of age who are interested in covering the current situation in Belarus, the situation on the Poland-Belarus border or the emigration from Belarus in general. The initiative will bring together young journalists from Czech Republic, Slovakia, Finland, Estonia and Poland.
People in Need coordinates this initiative and supports the work of participants.
Main project activities:
1/ Kick-off meeting in Prague on 22. - 23. 2. 2022
The main aim of the meeting is a basic briefing for the participants which will include a meeting with senior analytical journalists who previously covered similar topics, a meeting with the representatives of non-profits working on the topics in the Czech Republic, and meeting the representatives of the Belarusian minority diaspora in the Czech Republic. A part of the meeting will be dedicated to working with sensitive data and sources of information.
AFTER the meeting, participants will prepare the projects of their own planned media outputs based on fieldwork collected material/information. Depending on the location preferred by individual journalists, People in Need Czech Republic is able to facilitate potential relevant contacts and other sources.
2/ Depending on the interest, People in Need will either provide the journalists with relevant contacts, or organize a joint trip to Vilnius to meet representatives of exiled Belarusian civil society organizations.
- Who can apply: journalist up to 35 years from Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Finland and Estonia
- Application period: until 6.2. 2022
- Scholarship amount per one participant: 1800 Euro (the amount allow to carry out activities related to the project like travel costs to Prague and accommodation or and other costs related to preparing the material)
You can apply until 6 February 2022 via this online form.
- Motivation and ability to commit to the active participation throughout the project, including the kick-off meeting in Prague on 22nd - 23rd February 2022.
- Motivation and ability to create one or more media outputs on topic related to the current situation in Belarus, the situation on the Poland-Belarus border and the emigration from Belarus. The stories/articles should be published between until August 2022.
- Proficiency in English
- Completed vaccination against Covid-19
Participants will be selected by the 11th of February 2022.
Kristýna Brožová, Migration Awareness Programe Coordinator - firstname.lastname@example.org
The project and the scholarships awarded are funded by the EU through the project I Am European: Migration Stories & Facts for the 21st Century