Cooperation with universities
Biased and emotionally escalated public debate on any topic does not benefit society much. Rather, it encourages polarization, mutual distrust, and sometimes worries about the future. In order to maintain dialogue in the public space, the debate must be able to reflect different perspectives and attitudes, but also take into account facts and thereby contribute to the understanding of new situations. A balanced public debate is not possible without academic expertise and the sharing of scientific knowledge across society and its own academic community. Therefore, in the Migration Awareness Programme, we also emphasize close cooperation with universities—traditional partners of People in Need—in the areas of shared analytical and pedagogical activities.
How do we do it?
- Seminars and courses for students of journalism and other humanities on media and migration;
- Seminars on migration and integration in the Czech Republic and around the world for humanities students, and in particular pedagogical disciplines which are in accordance with the methodology Bohouš and Dáša: Facing Migration;
- Seminars on migration, integration, and minorities in the Czech Republic for journalism students at Czech universities;
- Sharing our analyses and experiences at professional conferences focusing on the migrant media image, migration, and integration;
- Encouraging networking and exchanging know-how on current migration issues among Czech and foreign migration experts through guest lectures and joint workshops;
- Cooperation on analytical and scientific-research activities; and
- Participation in professional publications focusing on the media image of diversity, migrants, migration, and integration.
Who we work with:
- In cooperation with the Institute of Communication Studies and Journalism and the Faculty of Social Sciences, Charles University in Prague, we carry out a seminar Journalist and Minority Topics—Media and Migration with a capacity of 18 students, which is open to interested students from other faculties of Charles University. The course deals with international migration as a topic of domestic and foreign media and acquaints students with the scope of this topic. The course also includes external guests from the ranks of journalists and experts (non-profit sector employees and state administration, migrants, etc.).
- In cooperation with the Department of Media Studies and Journalism, FSS MUNI, starting in the winter semester of the 2017/18 academic year, we are giving a lecture on media and migration as part of Ethics and Media.
- In cooperation with the Department of International Political Relations at the University of Economics in Bratislava, we have held regular lectures on migration and integration in the Czech Republic twice a year on minorities, marginalized groups, and equality Policies in the Visegrad region.
- To support networking and to share know-how on topical issues among Czech and foreign academics, we have held professional lectures and shared workshops at the Faculty of Science of Charles University and the University of Hradec Králové.
- As part of our ad hoc lectures, we have organized seminars on migration, integration, and minorities
- for Czech students, e.g. Faculty of Education, University of Ostrava, Faculty of Philosophy and Science, Silesian University in Opava, Faculty of Science or Faculty of Arts, Charles University, and others; and
- for students from abroad, e.g. University of California Berkeley, University of Colorado Boulder, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, workshop for students at Prague College during European Summer School and others.
* The possibility of implementing the offered activities depends on the current financial capacities that depend on the project fundraising. It is possible to finance selected activities as self-payers.